Usage Scenario and Request for Suggested Methods

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:21 PM

SPALM looks AMAZING!! <rubs hands together eagerly> Now I can't wait to try this out!.... Here's how I'd like to start playing with it....

Here's some background info about my organization's SharePoint 2007 site collection:

• We own our site collection and the 5G database, but another administrator's group owns and manages the servers
  • We are unable to update folders or DLLs on the SharePoint 2007 servers without a lot of resistance
  • The site collection is for MOSS 2007
  • We own our TFS 2008 server (but it only comes with WSS 3.0, not MOSS)

Because I can customize the look and feel of our site collection via the default.master and CSS, we have a pretty good uniform layout and look of our sites.  However, I'm not sure if developing the site definition in Visual Studio 2008 is the right option for us because of all of the custom permission filtering going on.  If I create a site definition and build/deploy the site I worry that any of the user permission changes that others have done might be wiped out.  This is a non-negotiable risk that I can't take.

What I do want is uniformity of the site collection and ultimately.... be able to build then store the site projects to TFS 2008.  This way, any site-wide customizations are tracked and verified and we can roll back if there's a problem.  This makes the local government auditors happy....which then makes my boss happy.  :)

Here's what I was thinking of doing:

1. Using SPALM, create a site project in Visual Studio 2008
  2. Build it
  3. Test it with unit tests (if possible)
  4. Check it into TFS 2008 as a part of a "SharePoint Projects" TFS 2008 project

If all goes well, then I'd move onto custom web parts using the same process....

Can this be done?  Is there an example for how to do this?  If it can be done, is this the best method or do you have any suggestions on how to do this better? 

Thanks for your interest and potential feedback!