What is the difference between a Simple & Complex applications and FieldTypes

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I'm confused by the term complex.   When should I create a simple application and when should I create a complex application? Also when should I use a Simple Field Type template verse the Field Type With a Comlex Value template

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Simple Application can be used for small applications with few WSP-Solutions (1-5). We use this type e.g. for prototypes or simple customizations (like a single webpart)
Main difference:
- resx files are NOT created automatically
- flat project structure without solution folders in VS.NET

Complex Applications can be used in large projects, with multiple WSP-Solutions (above 5), separate projects for class libraries, projects for STSADM-Extensions, MSBuild-Tasks etc.
Main differences:
- resx files are created automatically
- a separate project for Resources is created and all resx files are created there (a best practice to separate resources from the application code and make updates with new languages easier)
- projects are structured in solution folders: e.g. "Customizations", "STSADM-Extensions", "ClassLibraries" to find projects easier

Beyond creation of resx files and solution folders there is no difference between simple and complex applications.

Regarding Field Types:
- Simple Field Type stores a single value, e.g. the name of a person
- Complex Field Type can store a more complex value, like a adress

The terms "simple" and "complex" have a different meaning for projects and field types. Sorry for that confusion.

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM

The type "simple application" has been removed.

In SPSF2010 there are only SharePoint 2007 and SharePoint 2010 application templates available.

So hopefully that resolves the confusion ;-)