Aug 5, 2015 at 3:44 PM
Hi

Can you please update this brilliant piece of software for Visual Studio 2015

Many thanks
Colin
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM
Hi Colin,

we haven't had time for a while to maintain SPSF, but theoretically VS2015 support should be easily possible to achieve.

Open GAX/GAT, on which SPSF relies upon is already available for VS2015 at https://opengax.codeplex.com/releases
So basically in best case it would be required to get the SPSF source from https://github.com/rencoreab/SharePoint-Software-Factory, update all bindings to GAX 2015 and recompile and package the VSIX.

The problem, setting up the environment to build it (which also will require VS2013 on the machine and the SDK for both VS versions), testing and troubleshooting the is quite time consuming and I currently don't have such an environment at hand. Unfortunately time is what I have least at the moment :(

Would you be willing to make that build yourself and I help you along the way if you hit a roadblock?
Thanks for your support!

Kind Regards,

Matthias
Aug 23, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Hi Matthias,

I'm also at the research for an update to vs2015 so i tried to setting up the environnement but i got some issues when i try to build SPALM.SPSF project.

Maybe i did something wrong, here is my actual environnement :
  • VS2012, VS2013, VS2015
  • OpenGAX 2013, 2015
  • VS SDK 2012, 2013, 2015
Here is the error i got when i try to build SPALM.SPSF project. I totally don't know how to resolve this issue.

Could you give me some help ?
4>------ Rebuild All started: Project: SPALM.SPSF, Configuration: Debug x86 ------
4>  BeforeBuild OutDir bin\Debug\
4>  BeforeBuild OutputPath bin\Debug\
4>  SPALM.SPSF -> 
4>  SPALM.SPSF -> 
4>  SPALM.SPSF -> C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\SharePoint-Software-Factory-master\SPALM.SPSF\bin\Debug\SPALM.SPSF.dll
4>[C:\Projects\SPSF]\Libraries\OpenGAX\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Build.targets(30,3): 
error MSB4018: The "GenerateMenuResource" task failed unexpectedly.
error MSB4018: Mvp.Xml.XInclude.FatalResourceException: Resource error has occured and no fallback has been provided: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
error MSB4018:    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
error MSB4018:    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
error MSB4018:    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
error MSB4018:    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
error MSB4018:    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
error MSB4018:    at Mvp.Xml.Common.XmlBaseAwareXmlTextReader.Read()
error MSB4018:    at Mvp.Xml.XInclude.XIncludingReader.Read()
error MSB4018:    at Mvp.Xml.XInclude.XIncludingReader.ProcessInterDocXMLInclusion(String href, String xpointer)
error MSB4018:    at Mvp.Xml.XInclude.XIncludingReader.ProcessIncludeElement()
error MSB4018:    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
error MSB4018:    at Mvp.Xml.XInclude.XIncludingReader.ProcessFallback(Int32 depth, Exception e)
error MSB4018:    at System.Xml.XmlWriter.WriteNode(XmlReader reader, Boolean defattr)
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.ResolveXInclude(XmlReader configReader)
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.ReadConfiguration(XmlReader configReader)
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.ReadConfiguration(String configFile)
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Build.GenerateMenuResource.get_Configuration()
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Build.GenerateMenuResource.CompileCTO(String& tempCTO)
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Build.GenerateMenuResource.Execute()
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__20.MoveNext()
========== Rebuild All: 3 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM
A lot of the code in SPSF is generated automatically with T4 Templates text transformation.
This has to be done before it can be compiled otherwise a lot of XML code is not yet present.

Also the recipe framework of GAX is using T4

On the first look, it seems that some XML is not correct and this might be related to the above.
T4 comes with the VS SDK(s) but by default it does not run before build as far as I know.

If I recall correctly there is a setting in the VS Options dialog that can turn that on.
Alternative you can also execute the transformation manually via the context menu in the solution explorer.

Read more about T4 here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/dd820620(v=vs.100).aspx

For VS2015 support you might also need to update or add the references to VS2015 EnvDTE dll.
Those are usually downwards compatible and require also the previous versions. As not much should have changed you might get lucky and it works without that. So you should give this a try first.

Keep me updated on the progress and I will try to carve out some time to have a look at it myself.
Aug 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM
Thank you for your answer ! Indeed, there is a lot of T4 files ! I found it day after my post :)
I will try your suggestions about VS option !

First i try to rebuild an environment where actual SPSF work with my VS2013 before i try to update to VS2015.

Currently, i have problems with some T4 generation, i will continue my investigations when i find some free time.

Do you have a good T4 extension ?

I will keep you update.
Sep 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM
I finally did the job. I think at least, i did not try all functionalities ... I will try at work in the coming months and adjusts if necessary ...

If you want, you can check the fork on github : https://github.com/Sowz/SharePoint-Software-Factory and give me some feedback !

I re create the "SPALM.SPSF.Library" because it do not want to upgrade it's target framework to 4.5.2 (that why the new and old folder).
I change the OpenGAX to 2015 in "Libraries" folder.
I think i add/change all references to the 14.0 version.

I hope i did not forgot anything !

See u.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Wow, very nice!
Sorry for the lack of response.

Happy to year that you succeeded.
What challenges did you face during the upgrade?

Unfortunately I do not have a configured build system for SPSF in VS2015 at hand, but if you can provide a download I can give it a test and give you feedback.
If all works fine then we can merge it back and publish a new release (crediting your help of course! :) )

Thanks a lot!
Oct 23, 2015 at 2:49 PM
Hello !

Same sorry for the lack of response !
Me and some collegues did some tests on our projects before.
I will try to answer your question about challenges i faced as soon as possible :)

Here is the link to download SPALM.SPSF.VS2015

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/7f53072866603c27f1ba31b807aad05220151023134243/67dcc25b27d7b6ed5a6215b1661f136120151023134243/682cd5

You will need to download and install OpenGAX for 2015 first :

https://opengax.codeplex.com/downloads/get/1458016
May 19, 2016 at 8:39 PM
I'm new to Codeplex. If this code put together by sowz works for VS2015 will it be added to this project here?

Can the sowz code be downloaded and installed for VS 2015 from his site? I could also install VS2013 but would rather stick with 2015 if this will work.

Thanks!