VS2012 - missed projects/recipes after successful SPSF installation

May 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Hi!

I use VS2012 Premium with the latest SPSF.
One of the dev VMs has issues w/ SPSF - there is no projects/recipes after successful SPSF installation.

I tried uninstall and get it from codeplex as .vsix extensions as well as rebooted several times and tried to get it from NuGet gallery. No luck yet.

I wonder if there are any recommendation to troubleshoot such a case.
What could be a logic/steps to understand why it works that way and what could be done?
May 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Okay, it came across that SPSF Guidance Package hadn't been activated.
So, just got to "Guidance Navigator", Guidance Package manager and enable (via EnableDisable buttom) "SharePoint Software Factory" package. It gives you all recipes.

However, projects (for example, SPSD project) are still missed. Any ideas for that?
May 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Gosh! Stupid me. I had to upgrade the solution to "Current version of SPSF". Ah, ah.

So, case solved. Thanks!
Coordinator
May 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Thanks for what? :) Solved it all by yourself :)

For those who stumble upon the problem read here the how to's
How to (re-)activate SPSF on existing projects?
How to update projects to the current SPSF version/enable SPSF on existing projects?

Unfortunately Visual Studio saves the state if a Guidance Package like SPSF is activated locally on the machine for each project.
That means, that whenever you retrieve the solution i.e. from Source Control and save it to a new place, SPSF is deactiveted at the beginning and you have to activate it once for that place.

BTW, the "SPSF Projects" context menu is still missing in the VS2012 version. This is a known bug, but somehow I don't get my head around it. Works fine when I upgrade a project which used SPSF2010 but not with projects newly created with SPSF2012.
As a workaround for now, you can just add ordinary SP projects and run the "Update project to current SPSF" recipe once (which basically adds the MSBuild targets to build the WSP and run the quality checks, along with the build dependency from the deployment project)
May 24, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Edited May 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Yea, RTFM. I've got these posts, but didn't expect to do the same even on pure fresh VM/VS.
Coordinator
May 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Sorry for the inconvenience. Maybe I should make that clearer in the docs.
Unfortunately there is no other way to convince VS to store that information somewhere else (i.e by user for all projects)

As a resolution you could also checkin the the .gpState file (which contains the info if you look into it) but that may cause other issues, as it is not meant to be stored in SC.
May 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM
That's okay. There should be a balance between "total automatization" and some manual steps involved. It just might not worth it.
Anyway, lesson learnt. Read something before usage :)