Few bugs and suggestions

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:46 AM
Edited Apr 18, 2011 at 1:47 AM

First of all, you did a great job with this release. However, there are still some things that need polishing.

I have noticed, that some of the fields that define optional properties of objects in recipe wizards are in fact required (you can't continue until you enter something there). Example: Recipe for Site Column, Description field on Site coulmn type page. It would be nice if clearing their value would result in omiting property in resulting xml (since prop is optional, it won't affect the deployment).

Next thing - list definition recipe. After checking, whether template should be hidden, the resulting xml comes with property Hidden="True", which does not always work. In order for this to work property must be Hidden="TRUE". I would recommend to change all boolean values in xmls to uppercase, since this is not the only case in SP xml definitions, when "True" value is not working and "TRUE" is.

I would also suggest adding recipe for Package. I know that packaging is done after rebuid, but it would be nice to have an option to generate wsp right away (when all you did was correct a typo in xml definition).

Next nice to have this would be adding SharePoint schemas (wss.xsd etc.) to xml files generated by recipies. It would make any manual modifications much easier.

Finally, it would be good to have a recipe that checks feature folder and refreshes ElementManifests in feature.xml. When you change folder name for feature element (ex. site column), you need to remember to manually modify feature.xml as well. Rebuilding feature.xml would simplify the matter and help avoid possible typos with synchronizing feature.xml contents.

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Hi el_topo,

thanks for your feedback! I created some workitems for the issues.

Regarding issue 4: wss.xsd I don't fully understand the problem.
At least in VS2010 SharePoint projects automatically use the wss.xsd, so you have full intellisense support i.e. in ContentType or Feature XML files.
So I guess you refer to VS2008 were you still have to add the xsd to VS.
Do I understand you right, that you want SPSF to add the reference to VS2008?

Issue 5: Rebuild Feature.xml
This might be also VS2008 or SharePoint Hive Format related. In VS2010 you have the FeatureDesigner, which automatically updates name changes and also allows reorganization of feature elements.
Developing such a feature for VS2008 would consume too much time, which we would rather like to focus on other improvments.
So, if I didn't understand you wrong, I would discard this suggestion. Sorry. :-(

Best Regards

Matt

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM
Hi Matt,

You are correct. I am currently using SPSF on VS208.

Regarding issue 4: Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking about

Regarding issue 5: No problem. Thanks for accepting other issues.

Project looks very promising and I'll try to provide you with some more feedback, once I get the chance to test SPSF in a larger project.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM, matein78 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi el_topo,

thanks for your feedback! I created some workitems for the issues.

Regarding issue 4: wss.xsd I don't fully understand the problem.
At least in VS2010 SharePoint projects automatically use the wss.xsd, so you have full intellisense support i.e. in ContentType or Feature XML files.
So I guess you refer to VS2008 were you still have to add the xsd to VS.
Do I understand you right, that you want SPSF to add the reference to VS2008?

Issue 5: Rebuild Feature.xml
This might be also VS2008 or SharePoint Hive Format related. In VS2010 you have the FeatureDesigner, which automatically updates name changes and also allows reorganization of feature elements.
Developing such a feature for VS2008 would consume too much time, which we would rather like to focus on other improvments.
So, if I didn't understand you wrong, I would discard this suggestion. Sorry. :-(

Best Regards

Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (spsf@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email spsf@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Best Regards,
Konrad