SPSF 2010 on Win2k3 R2 x86 Install Error : System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I get the following error on Windows 2003 R2 x86 server (with MOSS 2007 and VS 2010 Premium):

Beginning to install extension to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate...
Install Error : System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)

The installation works fine on similarly configured x64 systems.

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:40 AM

Thank you for your support.

Did you have similar problems with other VSIX-Extensions for Visual Studio from Visual Studio Gallery (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/)?

Visual Studio installs VS-Extensions into the following folder "C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\". Is this folder available on your system? How long is this path on your x86 system?

I will try to reproduce the problem and fix it.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Hi jpalmerOPTR,

I was able to reproduce the "path to long" exception on a 32bit system with VS 2010.

We were only able to fix the problem in VS 2010 by enabling SPSF for "all users". This installs SPSF in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions and not into the folder of the current user.

Please download current release 3.0.2 (still beta).

Thank you for telling us about the problem.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Release 3.0.2 installs without the error!  Thanks for the fix and great work on SPSF!